By now a lot of my social media friends who are Mayweather fans think I am nuts. I have been analyzing this fight for quite some time. Some may ask what my experience is. I had fought competitively for 8 years was a two time finalist in the Vermont Golden Gloves and was the 1989 New England Diamond Belt Boxing Champion. As a mixed martial artist I competed in the Teams Fighting Championships in Latvia ( 5 on 5 fighting).
Many will argue with boxing only rules it does seem like a mismatch, and if Floyd does what Floyd usually does in calling all of the shots it may be. But if Conor and his team can work the negotiations this could be an extremely competitive fight and here’s how.
- Glove Size– Welter weights (147 pounds) can fight with 8 ounce gloves. Anything above Welter weight is 10 ounce gloves. If they fight at Welter advantage McGregor.
- Glove Type– The Reyes gloves are made with horse hair. They are known as the “punchers glove”. If McGregor is allowed this type of glove advantage McGregor.
- Size of ring– I do believe that the smaller the ring the bigger advantage for Conor, but he does fight in Octagon which is bigger than a ring. But a smaller ring will help McGregor be able to get to Mayweather more often.
- This is probably the biggest factor. Who the referee is will make a huge difference. Floyd picks the referee, Conor will not be able to get rough in close situations. He needs a referee that will be let them fight on the inside.
Other factors are the size difference. Conor is taller, has a reach advantage and by fight time will be the much heavier man. If the negotiations are worked correctly this could be a very interesting fight.
Keep your hands up,
John “Bones” Shaddock
- If you enjoy my blog please subscribe to it.
- If you are interested in training with me go to shaddockmma.com